Skip to main content

Painting Pictures

    I love to write books. In fact, I can’t remember a time in my life when I didn’t love to write. I even attempted to write books before I knew that the space-bar existed. One of the things I enjoy most is what my mom calls “painting pictures” with my words. I love to write about the beautiful golden leaves that rustle in the fall breeze, and the sparkling snow that glimmers in the wintertime frost. But, how do you write a well-structured sentence that is descriptive, that employs interesting word choice, and, most importantly, intrigues the reader and compels them continue reading?

In order to write a descriptive sentence, you must first sit quietly and picture the scene in your mind. See the lush, rolling hills and the trickling, crystal stream, and tell your reader exactly what you are imagining. Now, remember that, although you can see this picture clearly in your mind, your reader cannot. The reader relies on you to describe precisely what you are seeing and what they are supposed to see. This is difficult, because you do not simply want to say “she had brown hair” or “she was 5’7.” You need to say things such as “she effortlessly pulled her silky, brown hair up into a ponytail” or “though she stood around 5’7, she felt quite delicate standing near the monstrous man beside her,” otherwise you will not capture your reader’s attention.


How do you use interesting words when describing a scene? I often use the thesaurus; however, there are other ways of finding words. Friends and family can be immensely helpful when attempting to think up a word to use. Gaining other’s opinions when writing is one of the most useful things in all of the writing world because they each have their own imagination as well. Also, remember to keep the words you’re using age-appropriate for the people you are hoping to reach. When writing a book for a ten-year-old, you don’t want to use words like “sublime” when trying to say that something is “beautiful.”

How do you keep the reader interested? Books can continue for hundreds and hundreds of pages, so how on earth are you supposed to keep them reading? Make it exciting. When the story starts to droop and wilt, and things begin to become boring, you have something exciting happen. A war breaks out, people’s lives are at stake, people who used to be best friends are at each other’s throats, the main character’s homework was completely burnt to a crisp by his little brother, or, when going to the absolute extreme, somebody dies. Even in these circumstances you want to try your absolute best to be descriptive. What are they wearing? How’s their hair? How does the older brother deal with the fact that his little brother destroyed the homework he spent all night writing? Are the wounds your main character acquired in battle fatal? Though it may seem absolutely disgusting, you may even have to go into a little bit of description of the wound itself (I advise not going into too much detail in this area, we don’t want your readers fainting).



Well-structured, interesting sentences are difficult to write and never come easily. But, as the saying goes, “practice makes perfect.” The more you write, the more likely you are to become familiar with your writing styles and techniques, and to create new ones. Writing isn’t, and never will be simple, but the harder you work at it the better you’ll be. Using these techniques, I have improved my own writing. I will always love to write books, and it is something that I know I will always do. 

Comments

  1. Love your new blog, Grace! What a wonderful way to express your creativity. You have chosen a very appropriate name, too! I also delight in finding just the right words. Aren't words FUN! - Aunt Kit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it! Thank you very much! Oh, yes! Very, very fun!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Things I've Learned from Watching My Mom and Dad

I've learned a lot from watching my Mom and Dad's marriage. It's led me to know what I want to look for in a marriage, eventually, when I'm older, if I ever DO get married. Their marriage helps me know what a marriage is really about, and I couldn't thank them more for that.

You see, a lot of girls my age dream about marrying the perfect guy. Living in the perfect house. Having a lot of money and clothes and having a happy family and good, stable jobs. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, but I think it's a bit unrealistic. It's not impossible, I suppose (other than the perfect guy, thing. Nobody's perfect! *Hannah Montana song now stuck in my head forever*), but in order to have all those things, you need to have a few others.

So, here's what I want for my future, if I ever get married.

Jesus. Not every marriage has Jesus, and a lot of them do okay without Him. But it's a lot harder, I think. Without Jesus, who do you have as your role …

Grace's Corner of the World: Why I Don't Write About MK Life

For those of you who don’t know, I am an MK (missionary kid). People tend to enjoy reading my posts about my life as a missionary, and are confused when I don’t write about that. After all – I’m a missionary! Why shouldn’t I write about my thrilling life living in a tropical climate spreading the word of Jesus? There’s only one answer for that, really: It’s not thrilling. Believe it or not, my life is no more exciting than yours. I spend my days doing school and trying not to die of the heat. Don’t believe me? I’ll give you a quick run-down of my day today. 1.Manage to get out of my bed and go downstairs; hopefully pretend to be awake enough to eat breakfast 2.Eat cereal and do devotions with family 3.Do some school 4.Take a nap 5.Do more school 6.Eat lunch 7.More school 8.Hide in my room some Wasn’t that just exciting? The thrilling life of an MK, right? Honestly, I’m here because God told me to come and support Dad as he spreads God’s word. I’m not doing any “missionarying,” I’m hanging out wi…

The Do's and Don'ts of Talking to MKs

When I returned to the States and talked to people living there, I discovered that people seemed very interested in what my family and I are doing, but they didn’t know what to ask so that they could figure out more about us. I’ve also learned that there are a few questions that should be avoided and others that I really enjoy answering. I thought I’d list some of them off for you so that you could know what to look out for, and what questions might be good conversation starters!
Don’t . . .
Ask me how it feels to be “back home.” I don’t even know how to answer this question. I have lived in Thailand for a little over two years now. Some of the toughest things that I have ever been through happened in this beautiful country. I have a lot of friends here. My house is here, and my family is here. So when you ask “How does it feel to be back home?” it can make me both confused and annoyed. Questions spin through my head, such as, “Um . . . I don’t know if I even am home,” and “Goodness, do…