Skip to main content

Girl Talk: Makeup

I recently got my first tube of lipstick. I was very excited, as I see makeup the same was as I see colored pencils - it's nowhere close to easy, but the process is enjoyable and fun, and it usually turns out pretty in the end (unless I totally mess up and have to start all over). The lipstick I got is a brighter color than I thought it was going to be, but I like it all the same.


(lightish style)
My little sister doesn't seem too thrilled with the development. Jokingly, she calls it red (although I am CONVINCED it's just a bright/deep pink), and says things like "oh, you don't need it! Why are you wearing it?!" 

Since all of her comments are in jest, I take no offense at them. I play along and I laugh, and I pretend to defend myself as if I really care. But the more she does it, the more I realize that girls have to face this in real life all the time.

People tell you things like "that color's not good on you" or " way too much makeup there, hon." If you're using makeup because you
(more "dramatic" style)
think you're ugly, then yeah, you have too much 
makeup on, because you aren't ugly and any amount of makeup you're wearing to make yourself "more beautiful" is too much. You'll never be able to feel truly beautiful and know you ARE truly beautiful when wearing makeup if you can't feel like/ know you are beautiful without it. 

If, like me, however, you just wear makeup because it's fun or it's a special occasion or you like wearing makeup or you just decide "why not?" then why does it matter how much makeup you wear, or what colour it is? There are certain instances, of course, where you should wear makeup appropriately (if you're meeting the Queen of England you probably shouldn't wear lime green lipstick, just my opinion), but if you're just wearing makeup because you can, why shouldn't you be allowed to wear it however you prefer?

People seem to think that if a girl wears makeup it means she's either insecure or extremely self-centered. I can tell you that that's not necessarily the case. Let's put it like this:

Let's say you really like McDonald's cheeseburgers (even if you don't. Work with me here). In particular, you love both the "plain" cheeseburger and the "deluxe" cheeseburger. You think they taste equally delicious, and on the outside they're equally gorgeous and heavenly-looking. Really, the only difference between these two cheeseburgers is the amounts of toppings on them. They're both amazing in every way possible, but they have different toppings and the flavors are slightly different. I'm not insecure or even self-centered if I like the deluxe cheeseburger more. . . am I?

Makeup is like these cheeseburgers. When you aren't wearing makeup, you're a deliciously heavenly and gorgeous "plain" cheeseburger (but by no means do I attempt to imply that you are actually plain without makeup on). When you are wearing makeup, you're the beautiful "deluxe" cheeseburger - not because one burger is actually better than the other. It only has a different name because it has different toppings.


(colorful, wacky style)
So what, exactly, is wrong with preferring a deluxe cheeseburger over a plain cheeseburger? Or maybe not even preferring it, just choosing to eat it that day? It's really just a matter of taste, right? I don't have to agree that a deluxe cheeseburger is better than a plain cheeseburger, or the other way around, but I shouldn't insult you because you have a different burger choice. I can think I'm right and you're wrong all I want, but I don't have to insult you and tell you you have too many toppings on your burger.

If you go walking down the street with makeup like this person to the left here, I'll do a double take, I'll think it's different than I'm used to seeing and maybe a little strange, and I'll be taken aback. I might even think it looks silly, but I'm not going to tell you you're ugly in it, because even in that I don't think she's ugly. She has an odd taste in makeup, sure, but I can still respect her choice. I mean, if anything I'd tell you that you've gotta be pretty bold and talented to do makeup like that - look at the odd/cool shape and the colors! 

So, girls, remember that you're beautiful when you look like a "plain" cheeseburger or a "deluxe" cheeseburger, and it's okay if you have a preference between the two, or you choose one over the other on a certain day. If someone insults you because of your makeup choice, that's their problem. If they're not "eating your burger," so to speak (wearing your makeup), then it shouldn't matter to them, and you look fine and beautiful just the way you are.


What's your makeup preference? More natural? More dramatic? Colorful? Other? What do you think of the cheeseburger comparison? Tell me your thoughts in the comments below, or on my Facebook page, Julia Witmer, Author!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Corner of the World: Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year/50th Post

To start off - THIS IS OFFICIALLY MY FIFTIETH POST!!! I'm so excited! Thank all of you for supporting me and reading my blogs, and know that I couldn't have gotten this far without every single one of you. I look forward to seeing you and talking to you more and more as I continue to write these posts! And now onto "Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year" . . . A lot of Christians don't celebrate Halloween, and I respect their decision, but I, personally, LOVE Halloween. It's one of my absolute favorite holidays (besides Christmas, which obviously comes first because it's just so amazing). I mean, you get free candy and people don't look at you weird for putting on a costume. I could do a whole post about how weird the idea of Halloween is - I mean, all it is is that you aren't technically trespassing on someone's lawn when you go up to their door and bang on it, begging for sweets while dressed like some sort of fict

Sunshine Blogger Tag

Melissa Gravitis tagged me in the Sunshine Blogger Tag! I’m so excited – it’s the first tag that I’ve participated in. Thanks for tagging me, Melissa!     The rules are pretty simple: #1: Answer the 11 questions from your nominee #2: Tag 11 bloggers #3: Ask them 11 new questions I don’t know if you’re as thrilled about this as I am, but I’m too pumped up to stall anymore. Let’s get on with it! 1) Did anything 'spark' your passion (writing, reading, art, etc.) or did it come on gradually?                  It was more of a gradual thing for me. But, I think it was when I began reading that I slowly realized books actually came from somewhere and didn’t just magically appear. Then I decided I could do it, too! 2) If a library was on fire and you could only save three of its books, which three would you choose?      Oh, goodness. I’d probably say 1) Lost Girl of Astor Street , 2) Gregor the Overlander, the Prophecy of Bane , (book 2 in the series. It was