Skip to main content

Grace's Corner of the World: Taking Things for Granted

My older sister has returned from the United States! I can’t even tell you how thrilling it is to have her back. I didn't fully realize how much I love her until I didn't have her around to hug anymore.
 We’ve done quite a lot since her arrival, and I wouldn’t trade any of the time I have with her for anything.
Just yesterday, we went ice skating . . . Well, I say we, but I really mean they. I don’t enjoy ice skating, so I skated with my older sister for the first half-hour, and decided that my ankles were beginning to hurt and that I was done. So, I sat back and spammed my older sister’s phone with photos. She’ll thank me later . . . probably.
While I was filling her phone, I looked up to see my younger sister on the ground out on the ice skating rink. I hop up and watch her come over, crying. Now, normally she would not cry. She’s a very strong girl. But, she’d been run over by an out-of-control skater and had fallen, trying to stop herself by using her hands. Ouch! She now has a sprained wrist.
Then we came back we hung out and played a game, and my younger sister had some difficulties because of her newly-wrapped wrist, but it worked out okay. It all seems very regular, but it was regular with my big sister. That’s the best kind of ordinary. Normal with your family and friends. It’s something that we take for granted, I think. We look over the fact that some people don’t have the friends and family that we do. Some people don’t have a mom or a dad, or a sister or a brother, and we forget that and take ours for granted.

Do you take your loved ones for granted sometimes? I know I do. I see them there, but I don’t think about them. It’s what I’m used to. It’s routine. How could it be special? But, at the return of my sister, I realized that even the regular things can be special.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I've Learned from Watching My Mom and Dad

I've learned a lot from watching my Mom and Dad's marriage. It's led me to know what I want to look for in a marriage, eventually, when I'm older, if I ever DO get married. Their marriage helps me know what a marriage is really about, and I couldn't thank them more for that.

You see, a lot of girls my age dream about marrying the perfect guy. Living in the perfect house. Having a lot of money and clothes and having a happy family and good, stable jobs. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, but I think it's a bit unrealistic. It's not impossible, I suppose (other than the perfect guy, thing. Nobody's perfect! *Hannah Montana song now stuck in my head forever*), but in order to have all those things, you need to have a few others.

So, here's what I want for my future, if I ever get married.

Jesus. Not every marriage has Jesus, and a lot of them do okay without Him. But it's a lot harder, I think. Without Jesus, who do you have as your role …

Grace's Corner of the World: Why I Don't Write About MK Life

For those of you who don’t know, I am an MK (missionary kid). People tend to enjoy reading my posts about my life as a missionary, and are confused when I don’t write about that. After all – I’m a missionary! Why shouldn’t I write about my thrilling life living in a tropical climate spreading the word of Jesus? There’s only one answer for that, really: It’s not thrilling. Believe it or not, my life is no more exciting than yours. I spend my days doing school and trying not to die of the heat. Don’t believe me? I’ll give you a quick run-down of my day today. 1.Manage to get out of my bed and go downstairs; hopefully pretend to be awake enough to eat breakfast 2.Eat cereal and do devotions with family 3.Do some school 4.Take a nap 5.Do more school 6.Eat lunch 7.More school 8.Hide in my room some Wasn’t that just exciting? The thrilling life of an MK, right? Honestly, I’m here because God told me to come and support Dad as he spreads God’s word. I’m not doing any “missionarying,” I’m hanging out wi…

The Do's and Don'ts of Talking to MKs

When I returned to the States and talked to people living there, I discovered that people seemed very interested in what my family and I are doing, but they didn’t know what to ask so that they could figure out more about us. I’ve also learned that there are a few questions that should be avoided and others that I really enjoy answering. I thought I’d list some of them off for you so that you could know what to look out for, and what questions might be good conversation starters!
Don’t . . .
Ask me how it feels to be “back home.” I don’t even know how to answer this question. I have lived in Thailand for a little over two years now. Some of the toughest things that I have ever been through happened in this beautiful country. I have a lot of friends here. My house is here, and my family is here. So when you ask “How does it feel to be back home?” it can make me both confused and annoyed. Questions spin through my head, such as, “Um . . . I don’t know if I even am home,” and “Goodness, do…