Skip to main content

Dear Emma


Dear Emma,

I was going to write you a regular blog post, like I did for Mom on her birthday, but I decided to do something different. So, here we go.
We have so many memories together, my dear little sister, and I can hardly believe that you’re turning eleven today. We’ll soon be able to make new memories, and we’ll go on new adventures but, for now, I’m going to remind you of some of my favorites.
I can remember so many things about our fantastic adventures (and, when I say fantastic, I mean fantastic). We travelled all over the world in our imaginations, and then we actually did end up travelling across the world . . . that’s a different story, of course.
When we were little – you were probably around seven and I was around ten – we played one of the best games ever invented. I’ve no idea what we decided to call it, but I do remember that it was all because of the Monsterology book we have. Our fort, which stood out in our yard with a pole and a slide, was our underwater base. Brennan was the leader of said underwater base, and every time we looked up, we could see amazing sea-monsters swimming above us. This fort and these monsters were usually filled with disaster, and it was Maggie who helped us fight off all the “Monsters-Gone-Rogue.”
You and I also really like making Blanket Forts – and I am the master. Often times, we make up new stories that don’t have anything to do with the last, but the latest I can remember was that I was a companion to the Eleventh Doctor, you were a companion to the Tenth Doctor, and we were both trapped in some odd dimension and we had no idea where we were. We didn’t know that we were both companions, either . . . apparently, and at one point or another, Brennan – Bigfoot, of course – attacked our outpost and we had to make a run for it. Eventually, the Doctors came for us, and we acted surprised.
I can also remember, one Christmas, we slid ourselves underneath the Christmas tree, and looked up at all the ornaments. You turned to me and asked, “What should we play?” We decided that we’d be adventurers travelling through a dangerous forest. Long story short, we made it out alive.
Needless to say, we have gigantic imaginations that make very little sense. But, imagination doesn’t have to make sense, does it?
Emma, you are the absolute BEST little sister I could ever ask for, and I love you with all my heart. Thanks for letting your imagination run wild with me – and don’t stop just because you’re getting older.

Love,


Grace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Corner of the World: Why I Don't Write About MK Life

For those of you who don’t know, I am an MK (missionary kid). People tend to enjoy reading my posts about my life as a missionary, and are confused when I don’t write about that. After all – I’m a missionary! Why shouldn’t I write about my thrilling life living in a tropical climate spreading the word of Jesus? There’s only one answer for that, really: It’s not thrilling. Believe it or not, my life is no more exciting than yours. I spend my days doing school and trying not to die of the heat. Don’t believe me? I’ll give you a quick run-down of my day today. 1.Manage to get out of my bed and go downstairs; hopefully pretend to be awake enough to eat breakfast 2.Eat cereal and do devotions with family 3.Do some school 4.Take a nap 5.Do more school 6.Eat lunch 7.More school 8.Hide in my room some Wasn’t that just exciting? The thrilling life of an MK, right? Honestly, I’m here because God told me to come and support Dad as he spreads God’s word. I’m not doing any “missionarying,” I’m hanging out wi…

The Do's and Don'ts of Talking to MKs

When I returned to the States and talked to people living there, I discovered that people seemed very interested in what my family and I are doing, but they didn’t know what to ask so that they could figure out more about us. I’ve also learned that there are a few questions that should be avoided and others that I really enjoy answering. I thought I’d list some of them off for you so that you could know what to look out for, and what questions might be good conversation starters!
Don’t . . .
Ask me how it feels to be “back home.” I don’t even know how to answer this question. I have lived in Thailand for a little over two years now. Some of the toughest things that I have ever been through happened in this beautiful country. I have a lot of friends here. My house is here, and my family is here. So when you ask “How does it feel to be back home?” it can make me both confused and annoyed. Questions spin through my head, such as, “Um . . . I don’t know if I even am home,” and “Goodness, do…

Grace's Corner of the World: How, Lord?

The world seems much nicer at first glance than it does when you look deeper into it.
   It looks like a fairy tale when you first see it. It feels welcoming and loving when you're a child, and then the older you get the more you recognize the evil that inhabits it.    When I visited Thailand on our vision trip, I saw that evil for the first time in my life. I was around eleven.    I remember walking into the Buddhist temple, having left my shoes outside as they were not allowed to be worn indoors. I walked quietly over the cold marble floor through the dark room and lowered myself to the ground, looking around me in awe. I came as a tourist, but others came to worship.    What did they worship?    A green statue. The Emerald Buddha, it's called. All around me Thai people bowed low to the floor as medieval peasants would in front of a king, their hands palm-down on the floor in front of them in worship of an inanimate object that couldn't help them with any of their troubles or…