Skip to main content

Things I've Learned from Watching My Mom and Dad

I've learned a lot from watching my Mom and Dad's marriage. It's led me to know what I want to look for in a marriage, eventually, when I'm older, if I ever DO get married. Their marriage helps me know what a marriage is really about, and I couldn't thank them more for that.

You see, a lot of girls my age dream about marrying the perfect guy. Living in the perfect house. Having a lot of money and clothes and having a happy family and good, stable jobs. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, but I think it's a bit unrealistic. It's not impossible, I suppose (other than the perfect guy, thing. Nobody's perfect! *Hannah Montana song now stuck in my head forever*), but in order to have all those things, you need to have a few others.

So, here's what I want for my future, if I ever get married.

Jesus. Not every marriage has Jesus, and a lot of them do okay without Him. But it's a lot harder, I think. Without Jesus, who do you have as your role model for love? For your overall relationship? For respect and true dedication? The latest famous actor/actress? Your favorite singer? Probably not the  best to go off!

Respect. Both spouses need to have respect for each other - it isn't a one-way ticket and it's not always easy, but as I've seen with my Mom and Dad, respect = happy family.

Dedication. My parents are dedicated to each other, and to us. They spend more of their time on us than they do on work, really, because even when they're working hard they're thinking about the family. I want that kind of dedication. The kind of dedication that keeps you and your spouse truly loving each other, even when you're not 20 anymore.

Hard Work. Dedication and hard work are similar, but they aren't exactly the same. Hard work is like when my Dad was working three jobs and Mom was working one when they first got married so that they could work together to support each other and keep food on the table. Hard work is like when Dad and Mom took dancing lessons together, and they each had fun and tried just so they could dance together (I know, romantic, right?).

Sacrifice. My Mama and Daddy did not get where they are today without sacrifice. They picked themselves and their entire family up and moved us all to Thailand because that was what God wanted. They sacrificed time with friends and family so they could do what God called them - us - to do. 


My Mom sacrifices the time out of her day to cook us a nice, big meal each and every day. My Mom sacrificed being skinny and youthful (not that you aren't gorgeous, Mama ;) ) to give life to four babies. My Mom sacrifices hours of her day to teach those four babies everything they need to know before they go out into the world, and keeps on teaching them after they leave. My Mom lets me hug her whenever I want - and if you know me, you know that I hug people a lot. My Mom is a superhero.

My Dad sacrifices his energy to teach other people how to be pastors so their villages can learn about God and so we can have a roof over our heads. My Dad sacrifices time out of his day to teach us everything we need to know about the Bible and the Lord and how much He loves us. My Dad lets me hug him whenever I want. My Dad is a superhero.

Without those sacrifices they've made and will continue to make, their marriage wouldn't be as amazing as it is. Their family wouldn't be as happy as it is.

Time Together. Even with all us kids around, my parents go out for a date once a week. After being married for 27 years, they still go out on dates! They take the time to sit down over dinner and just talk to each other, without us kids around to bother them.

Patience. I'm sure my parents have fought at some point in their lives, but I honestly can't remember those fights if they happened. All I think of is that when they're "arguing" it's more like a debate, with calm voices and patience with each other. That's the kind of thing I want for myself, and whatever future husband may or may not come around.


True Love - Just Like in the Fairy Tales. I mean, fairy tales have to have a basis of some kind. I'm sure that that basis has to be off my parents. Like I said, they've been married for 27 years and not a speck of their love has faded. Sure, they may not be all gushy all the time like all the weird teenagers on the planet, but that sort of love doesn't last forever, I think. My parents were MFEO, and I know it. They know it. 

I still see Dad looking at Mom with the Mr. Darcy look on his face. My Mom is Lizzie, and my Dad is Mr. Darcy, and that won't ever change. Because their love is true.

I don't know about you, but that's the kind of marriage I want one day. Because I think that all of this adds up to make True Love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Corner of the World: Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year/50th Post

To start off - THIS IS OFFICIALLY MY FIFTIETH POST!!! I'm so excited! Thank all of you for supporting me and reading my blogs, and know that I couldn't have gotten this far without every single one of you. I look forward to seeing you and talking to you more and more as I continue to write these posts! And now onto "Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year" . . . A lot of Christians don't celebrate Halloween, and I respect their decision, but I, personally, LOVE Halloween. It's one of my absolute favorite holidays (besides Christmas, which obviously comes first because it's just so amazing). I mean, you get free candy and people don't look at you weird for putting on a costume. I could do a whole post about how weird the idea of Halloween is - I mean, all it is is that you aren't technically trespassing on someone's lawn when you go up to their door and bang on it, begging for sweets while dressed like some sort of fict

Sunshine Blogger Tag

Melissa Gravitis tagged me in the Sunshine Blogger Tag! I’m so excited – it’s the first tag that I’ve participated in. Thanks for tagging me, Melissa!     The rules are pretty simple: #1: Answer the 11 questions from your nominee #2: Tag 11 bloggers #3: Ask them 11 new questions I don’t know if you’re as thrilled about this as I am, but I’m too pumped up to stall anymore. Let’s get on with it! 1) Did anything 'spark' your passion (writing, reading, art, etc.) or did it come on gradually?                  It was more of a gradual thing for me. But, I think it was when I began reading that I slowly realized books actually came from somewhere and didn’t just magically appear. Then I decided I could do it, too! 2) If a library was on fire and you could only save three of its books, which three would you choose?      Oh, goodness. I’d probably say 1) Lost Girl of Astor Street , 2) Gregor the Overlander, the Prophecy of Bane , (book 2 in the series. It was

Girl Talk: Makeup

I recently got my first tube of lipstick. I was very excited, as I see makeup the same was as I see colored pencils - it's nowhere close to easy, but the process is enjoyable and fun, and it usually turns out pretty in the end (unless I totally mess up and have to start all over). The lipstick I got is a brighter color than I thought it was going to be, but I like it all the same. (lightish style) My little sister doesn't seem too thrilled with the development. Jokingly, she calls it red (although I am CONVINCED it's just a bright/deep pink), and says things like "oh, you don't need it! Why are you wearing it?!"  Since all of her comments are in jest, I take no offense at them. I play along and I laugh, and I pretend to defend myself as if I really care. But the more she does it, the more I realize that girls have to face this in real life all the time. People tell you things like "that color's not good on you" or " way too muc