Skip to main content

Grace's Corner of the World: Chiang Mai, Sweet Chiang Mai


After traveling for ages and revisiting all of the wonderful people in the United States, it was finally time for my family to return to Chiang Mai. In order to do this, we had to fly on three different flights. The first one, coming from Chicago and going to Shang Hai, took fifteen hours, which was actually more time than it had taken to arrive in Chicago in the first place. After that, the flight from Shang Hai to Bangkok took around four hours. From then it was super simple. A single hour’s flight to Chiang Mai. I figured I could handle that, even though I don’t enjoy flying and I had practically begun to drive myself crazy with my own ridiculous thoughts. I soon found out that the layover was going to be the boring and annoying time in my travels.
We landed in Bangkok at around 1:30am, but our next flight didn’t leave until 8:00am that same morning. I was about ready to have a breakdown. Thoughts were raging through my head. “I have to stay here HOW long? What am I supposed to DO while lying around on a bunch of uncomfortable chairs? I haven’t eaten an actual meal for ages. I think I’m going to pass out..”
Of course, none of this spilled from my mouth. I already knew that my mom had plenty to deal with, so I didn’t mention it, other than the occasional (okay, frequently repeated) question of how long it would be until we boarded or what time it was currently. I slept some, and everything seemed to be okay.
While we were unloading luggage and heading into the baggage claim, I spotted my dad waiting for us, and I had to fight myself to not just run over to him and let everyone else take care of the bags.
Once we had gotten everything, we headed to my dad, and I just about cried. The exhaustion of having travelled for so long, living out of a suitcase. The sadness I felt, knowing that Hannah was in another country and I wouldn’t see her until Christmas. The sorrow I felt at all the goodbyes I was forced to say, and now here was my amazing father whom I’d missed with all my heart. I’d held back tears for such a very, very long time. Only a couple of times on the trip had I cried, and the major reason was having to say the very first “goodbye” to my sister. I forced the tears back into my eyes and hugged my dad with all my might.
We then drove back to our house, and I was happier than I had been in quite a while. It’s my floor, my curtains, my living room, my bed! I didn’t realize just how much I missed my bed until I lazily flopped on top of it and found it very difficult to stand up again.

And so, here I am. Back in Chiang Mai. It’s hard to say what it is to me exactly, because I don’t know for sure. It’s a home, of sorts, and yet, at the same time, it isn’t. But, no matter what, I am so, so thankful to be back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Corner of the World: Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year/50th Post

To start off - THIS IS OFFICIALLY MY FIFTIETH POST!!! I'm so excited! Thank all of you for supporting me and reading my blogs, and know that I couldn't have gotten this far without every single one of you. I look forward to seeing you and talking to you more and more as I continue to write these posts! And now onto "Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year" . . . A lot of Christians don't celebrate Halloween, and I respect their decision, but I, personally, LOVE Halloween. It's one of my absolute favorite holidays (besides Christmas, which obviously comes first because it's just so amazing). I mean, you get free candy and people don't look at you weird for putting on a costume. I could do a whole post about how weird the idea of Halloween is - I mean, all it is is that you aren't technically trespassing on someone's lawn when you go up to their door and bang on it, begging for sweets while dressed like some sort of fict

Girl Talk: Makeup

I recently got my first tube of lipstick. I was very excited, as I see makeup the same was as I see colored pencils - it's nowhere close to easy, but the process is enjoyable and fun, and it usually turns out pretty in the end (unless I totally mess up and have to start all over). The lipstick I got is a brighter color than I thought it was going to be, but I like it all the same. (lightish style) My little sister doesn't seem too thrilled with the development. Jokingly, she calls it red (although I am CONVINCED it's just a bright/deep pink), and says things like "oh, you don't need it! Why are you wearing it?!"  Since all of her comments are in jest, I take no offense at them. I play along and I laugh, and I pretend to defend myself as if I really care. But the more she does it, the more I realize that girls have to face this in real life all the time. People tell you things like "that color's not good on you" or " way too muc

Grace's Corner of the World: A Few of my Favorite Bible Verses

                Some of my very favorite Bible verses. “She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.” -Proverbs 31:25 “The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.” -Psalm 23:1-3 “ Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;   but a woman who fears the   Lord   will be greatly praised. ” Proverbs 31:30 “Don’t be concerned about the outward   beauty   of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the   beauty   that comes from within, the unfading   beauty   of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” -1 Peter 3:3-4 “Seek the   Kingdom   of   God   above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” -Matthew 6:33 “ Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where m