Skip to main content

Grace's Corner of the World: Things I've learned from Living in my Household





 1.God comes first
2.It’s okay to ask questions
3.You must burst into song at least once daily
4.There is a movie quote for everything
5.No need to be competitive, just have fun
6.You always go to church, and there’s no excuse not to
7.Go ahead and have seconds…
8.Cooking with mom is fun
9.If Mom uses your middle name when addressing you, you know you’re in big trouble
10.Every time parents use your name when speaking to you, the first thing you ask is “What did I do this time?”
11.You shouldn’t force hugs on people. . . but Grace will do it anyway
12.Dad gets the comfy chair
13.Whether we say it out loud or not, there is assigned seating at the breakfast table
14.Family time is important
15.When Mom is reading, the rest of the world no longer exists
16.Puzzles are fun
17.We are beautiful children of God
18.Personal devotions are a must
19.“If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy”
20.Siblings are special
21.“Just because you say no offense, doesn’t mean I’m not offended”
22.Follow your dreams… if they’re God’s too
23.Listen to the Holy Spirit, because, just because you’re young, doesn’t mean that He can’t speak to you
24.You can always talk about God
25.Always make room for dessert
26.If you know the Thai word for the word you want to use, you use it, even if you’re speaking in English. “Can you pass me the kluay?”
27.You always close the cupboard door… except that nobody ever does
28.We talk to the computers
29.You’re supposed to keep your room clean, but you never really do
30.Your brother is the “good child”, your sister is the “funny child” and Grace is the “complaining child”
31.No balls inside the house… unless Dad’s playing with you
32.Just go with it
33.If your sister’s an extrovert, go do something with her
34.Grace shouldn’t spend all her life watching Doctor Who and Star Trek, but that doesn’t mean she won’t
35.Laughter is contagious
36. No talking to strangers... unless you're visiting a church
37. It's not weird if people have a picture of you on their refrigerator

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Corner of the World: Why I Don't Write About MK Life

For those of you who don’t know, I am an MK (missionary kid). People tend to enjoy reading my posts about my life as a missionary, and are confused when I don’t write about that. After all – I’m a missionary! Why shouldn’t I write about my thrilling life living in a tropical climate spreading the word of Jesus? There’s only one answer for that, really: It’s not thrilling. Believe it or not, my life is no more exciting than yours. I spend my days doing school and trying not to die of the heat. Don’t believe me? I’ll give you a quick run-down of my day today. 1.Manage to get out of my bed and go downstairs; hopefully pretend to be awake enough to eat breakfast 2.Eat cereal and do devotions with family 3.Do some school 4.Take a nap 5.Do more school 6.Eat lunch 7.More school 8.Hide in my room some Wasn’t that just exciting? The thrilling life of an MK, right? Honestly, I’m here because God told me to come and support Dad as he spreads God’s word. I’m not doing any “missionarying,” I’m hanging out wi…

The Do's and Don'ts of Talking to MKs

When I returned to the States and talked to people living there, I discovered that people seemed very interested in what my family and I are doing, but they didn’t know what to ask so that they could figure out more about us. I’ve also learned that there are a few questions that should be avoided and others that I really enjoy answering. I thought I’d list some of them off for you so that you could know what to look out for, and what questions might be good conversation starters!
Don’t . . .
Ask me how it feels to be “back home.” I don’t even know how to answer this question. I have lived in Thailand for a little over two years now. Some of the toughest things that I have ever been through happened in this beautiful country. I have a lot of friends here. My house is here, and my family is here. So when you ask “How does it feel to be back home?” it can make me both confused and annoyed. Questions spin through my head, such as, “Um . . . I don’t know if I even am home,” and “Goodness, do…

Grace's Corner of the World: How, Lord?

The world seems much nicer at first glance than it does when you look deeper into it.
   It looks like a fairy tale when you first see it. It feels welcoming and loving when you're a child, and then the older you get the more you recognize the evil that inhabits it.    When I visited Thailand on our vision trip, I saw that evil for the first time in my life. I was around eleven.    I remember walking into the Buddhist temple, having left my shoes outside as they were not allowed to be worn indoors. I walked quietly over the cold marble floor through the dark room and lowered myself to the ground, looking around me in awe. I came as a tourist, but others came to worship.    What did they worship?    A green statue. The Emerald Buddha, it's called. All around me Thai people bowed low to the floor as medieval peasants would in front of a king, their hands palm-down on the floor in front of them in worship of an inanimate object that couldn't help them with any of their troubles or…