Skip to main content

Grace's Corner of the World: How, Lord?

     
The world seems much nicer at first glance than it does when you look deeper into it.
   It looks like a fairy tale when you first see it. It feels welcoming and loving when you're a child, and then the older you get the more you recognize the evil that inhabits it.
   When I visited Thailand on our vision trip, I saw that evil for the first time in my life. I was around eleven.
   I remember walking into the Buddhist temple, having left my shoes outside as they were not allowed to be worn indoors. I walked quietly over the cold marble floor through the dark room and lowered myself to the ground, looking around me in awe. I came as a tourist, but others came to worship.
   What did they worship?
   A green statue. The Emerald Buddha, it's called. All around me Thai people bowed low to the floor as medieval peasants would in front of a king, their hands palm-down on the floor in front of them in worship of an inanimate object that couldn't help them with any of their troubles or sorrows. Looking at them, I found it easy to ignore the mosquitoes buzzing around me. A cold and empty feeling filled me. That was the first time I felt the bad of the world. The lies of Satan, who had convinced all those people of something so wrong. The sin of man, who followed Satan willingly.
   I'd grown up in a small town, mostly surrounded by Christians. In fact, if they weren't Christians, I probably didn't talk to them much, nor did I know they existed. I was young and innocent enough that the idea of non-Christians was just that: an idea.
   I'm not much older now, but I do know more than I did before.


   When I saw those people bowing before a carved emerald statue in a glass case, I wasn't angry at them. I was just sad. I'd never felt that kind of sad in my life, because it was a different sad than most people feel when they get their feelings hurt. It was a sad realization that when those people died, they wouldn't go to heaven, nor would they reincarnate like they thought. That broke my heart, and it was what helped me know for sure that God wanted me to come here. I wanted them to meet God, and that is nearly impossible when nobody tells you about it. God could use me and my family, and I knew it.
   Recently, however, I have felt something else entirely. Something else I'd never felt toward someone or something in my life. Something I never thought I would feel.
Me and Suu
   I felt enraged. I feel enraged.
   I read the news - something I've only started doing recently, as I'm only fourteen and hadn't found much interest in it before - and I see headlines like "ISIS gunned down pregnant women, babies, former Navy SEALS recalls," (this former Navy SEALS was a volunteer who survived the attack, thank the Lord) and I am enraged. Furious. Fuming mad.
   One of those former special forces operative happens to be my best friend, Suu's, father, and she and her family often go with him to help the refugees fleeing from this horror around them. I never before knew that I would have a friend as amazing as I do now, or that she's had various close calls. That she could have died pretty much a hundred times over.
   I have to trust God. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm trusting Him with - am I trusting Him to keep her alive? Trusting that His will be done? Trusting Him to let me hear from her at least one more time? What?
   
Suu's Dad


  At the same time, I would never tell her that she couldn't go. Know why? Because, whether I like it or not, she's doing exactly what God wants, and He knows how it'll turn out. She and her family and so many others are helping countless innocent people flee from the terrors of ISIS, risking their own lives in the process. And you know what?
   I couldn't be prouder of my friend.


   . . .But I find that my hatred towards ISIS only grows. I find that the reality of the difficulty to love my enemies shines through, and the truth of my humanity is revealed to me. It's so much easier to say that you love your enemies before you see what monsters they truly are - until you realize that the evil in movies exists in real life.
   They kill men, women and children for no reason other than their thirst for blood. They torture and kill people based entirely on religion, and they make those people's families watch.
   Repeatedly I find myself crumpled in a heap on my bed, my hands clasped together as I call out to God the only thing I know how to ask.

   How am I supposed to love people who do things like that, Lord?
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Corner of the World: Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year/50th Post

To start off - THIS IS OFFICIALLY MY FIFTIETH POST!!! I'm so excited! Thank all of you for supporting me and reading my blogs, and know that I couldn't have gotten this far without every single one of you. I look forward to seeing you and talking to you more and more as I continue to write these posts! And now onto "Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year" . . . A lot of Christians don't celebrate Halloween, and I respect their decision, but I, personally, LOVE Halloween. It's one of my absolute favorite holidays (besides Christmas, which obviously comes first because it's just so amazing). I mean, you get free candy and people don't look at you weird for putting on a costume. I could do a whole post about how weird the idea of Halloween is - I mean, all it is is that you aren't technically trespassing on someone's lawn when you go up to their door and bang on it, begging for sweets while dressed like some sort of fict

Girl Talk: Makeup

I recently got my first tube of lipstick. I was very excited, as I see makeup the same was as I see colored pencils - it's nowhere close to easy, but the process is enjoyable and fun, and it usually turns out pretty in the end (unless I totally mess up and have to start all over). The lipstick I got is a brighter color than I thought it was going to be, but I like it all the same. (lightish style) My little sister doesn't seem too thrilled with the development. Jokingly, she calls it red (although I am CONVINCED it's just a bright/deep pink), and says things like "oh, you don't need it! Why are you wearing it?!"  Since all of her comments are in jest, I take no offense at them. I play along and I laugh, and I pretend to defend myself as if I really care. But the more she does it, the more I realize that girls have to face this in real life all the time. People tell you things like "that color's not good on you" or " way too muc

Grace's Corner of the World: A Few of my Favorite Bible Verses

                Some of my very favorite Bible verses. “She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.” -Proverbs 31:25 “The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.” -Psalm 23:1-3 “ Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;   but a woman who fears the   Lord   will be greatly praised. ” Proverbs 31:30 “Don’t be concerned about the outward   beauty   of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the   beauty   that comes from within, the unfading   beauty   of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” -1 Peter 3:3-4 “Seek the   Kingdom   of   God   above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” -Matthew 6:33 “ Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where m