Skip to main content

Mystery, Suspense and Romance Novels I've Loved Over the Years

   And on to the treasure!

- The Christy Miller Series, Book One: Summer Promise -


 
   Author: Robin Jones Gunn
   Back Cover Description: As fourteen-year-old Christy leaves her family's Wisconsin farm to spend her summer at her wealthy aunt and uncle's beach home in Newport, California, she realizes this could be the best summer of her life. Her aunt is bending over backward to see that Christy's every wish is granted, the popular beach crowd is talking to her, and she catches the attention of a cute surfer named Todd.
   But the summer doesn't turn out as Christy hoped. Suddenly, she is faced with choices she's never had to make before, and the safe world that she's always known comes crashing down around her. Through it all, Christy struggles to keep her promise to her parents to not do anything she'll regret. But will she stop at nothing to get Todd, to be accepted, and to force her summer to give her everything it promised?
   This Christan romance(ish) novel will keep any teenage girl turning the pages. I loved the entire 12-book series, and there are plenty different series that go off of that, so if you like it you can easily continue reading!

- The O'Malley Chronicles, Book One: The Negotiator -


   Author: Dee Henderson
   Back Cover Description: FBI Agent Dave Richman never intended to fall in love with Kate O'Malley. As a hostage negotiator, Kate is willing to walk into any situation to save lives. When an airliner explodes, Kate is faced with the shocking evidence that the bomber may be someone she knows. And Dave is about to discover that loving a hostage negotiator is one thing, but protecting her is another matter entirely.
   This Christian suspense novel will keep anyone on their toes! I so enjoyed reading this, and I'd say anyone from teenage years and up would really love this novel! If you like action, thrills and novels about growth in Christ, you'll love this!


- If I Run Series, Book One: If I Run -


   
   Author: Terri Blackstock
   Back Cover Description: Casey Cox’s DNA is all over the crime scene. There’s no use talking to police; they’ve failed her abysmally before. She has to flee before she’s arrested . . . or worse. The truth doesn’t matter anymore.
But what is the truth? That’s the question haunting Dylan Roberts, the war-weary veteran hired to find Casey. PTSD has marked him damaged goods, but bringing Casey back can redeem him. Though the crime scene seems to tell the whole story, details of the murder aren’t adding up.
Casey Cox doesn’t fit the profile of a killer. But are Dylan’s skewed perceptions keeping him from being objective? If she isn’t guilty, why did she run?
Unraveling her past and the evidence that condemns her will take more time than he has, but as Dylan’s damaged soul intersects with hers, he is faced with two choices: the girl who occupies his every thought is a psychopathic killer . . . or a selfless hero. And the truth could be the most deadly weapon yet.
   Gah, I loved this book so much! Finished it in one day. This suspenseful Christian adult novel kept me on my toes and is filled with great characters and an awesome plot.


- Jennie McGrady Mystery, Book Five: Without a Trace -


   Okay, the reason I have book #5 listed here is because that's actually the only one I've read. I picked up my copy at a garage sale of sorts, and I didn't realize it was the fifth book. Nonetheless, if the others are half as good as this one was, they'll be worth the read!
   Author: Patricia H. Rushford
   Back Cover Description: Jennie McGrady’s whirlwind life revolves around one guy: her adorable five-year-old brother, Nick. But when he and a playmate disappear one evening, Jennie’s world crashes at her feet. Panic-stricken and racing against time, Jennie begins a frantic journey down a dangerous and shadowy path.
   Doug Reed has spent his life trying to dodge his own reputation. With a recent move and a new job, he just may leave his past in the dust—except Jennie McGrady has dug up his criminal record, and it’s not pretty.
   Anne Stuart seems to have it all together: a perfect home, a loving husband, and a beautiful little girl. When her daughter disappears and Jennie finds Anne bruised and beaten, the ugly truth begins to seep out, scene by scene.

   I loved this teen mystery novel, and even though it wasn't the first in the series, I still was able to enjoy the story! It kept me guessing, and begged me to turn the page!
   (here's a link to the first book in the series, Too Many Secrets)

- O'Malley Series Prequel: Danger in the Shadows -


 
   Author: Dee Henderson
   Back Cover Description: Sara is terrified. She's doing the one thing she cannot afford to do: fall in love with former pro-football player Adam Black, a man everyone knows. Sara's been hidden away in the witness protection program, her safety dependent on staying invisible—and loving Adam could get her killed! 
   This adult suspense novel that started out as a research project captured my attention immediately, throwing away all intentions of reading not for enjoyment but for my writing, and I finished the novel only two or three days after starting it. I loved it, and I'd read it again and again!


- The Lost Girl of Astor Street -


   Author: Stephanie Morrill
   Back Cover Description: When her best friend vanishes without so much as a good-bye, eighteen-year-old Piper Sail takes on the role of amateur sleuth in an attempt to solve the mystery of Lydia’s disappearance. Given that Piper’s tendency has always been to butt heads with high-society’s expectations of her, it’s no surprise that she doesn’t give a second thought to searching for answers to Lydia’s abduction from their privileged neighborhood.
   As Piper discovers that those answers might stem from the corruption strangling 1924 Chicago—and quite possibly lead back to the doors of her affluent neighborhood—she must decide how deep she’s willing to dig, how much she should reveal, and if she’s willing to risk her life of privilege for the sake of the truth.
   I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!! I discovered the novel through Stephanie Morrill's presence on Go Teen Writers, a blog I regularly follow. I read it through our library, and could hardly put the young adult mystery novel down!



   Have you read any of these novels? If so, what about them did you enjoy? Was there anything you didn't like?    If you haven't read them, which ones sound most interesting to you? Tell me in the comments section below or on my Facebook page Julia Witmer, Author!
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Corner of the World: Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year/50th Post

To start off - THIS IS OFFICIALLY MY FIFTIETH POST!!! I'm so excited! Thank all of you for supporting me and reading my blogs, and know that I couldn't have gotten this far without every single one of you. I look forward to seeing you and talking to you more and more as I continue to write these posts! And now onto "Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year" . . . A lot of Christians don't celebrate Halloween, and I respect their decision, but I, personally, LOVE Halloween. It's one of my absolute favorite holidays (besides Christmas, which obviously comes first because it's just so amazing). I mean, you get free candy and people don't look at you weird for putting on a costume. I could do a whole post about how weird the idea of Halloween is - I mean, all it is is that you aren't technically trespassing on someone's lawn when you go up to their door and bang on it, begging for sweets while dressed like some sort of fict

Girl Talk: Makeup

I recently got my first tube of lipstick. I was very excited, as I see makeup the same was as I see colored pencils - it's nowhere close to easy, but the process is enjoyable and fun, and it usually turns out pretty in the end (unless I totally mess up and have to start all over). The lipstick I got is a brighter color than I thought it was going to be, but I like it all the same. (lightish style) My little sister doesn't seem too thrilled with the development. Jokingly, she calls it red (although I am CONVINCED it's just a bright/deep pink), and says things like "oh, you don't need it! Why are you wearing it?!"  Since all of her comments are in jest, I take no offense at them. I play along and I laugh, and I pretend to defend myself as if I really care. But the more she does it, the more I realize that girls have to face this in real life all the time. People tell you things like "that color's not good on you" or " way too muc

Grace's Corner of the World: A Few of my Favorite Bible Verses

                Some of my very favorite Bible verses. “She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.” -Proverbs 31:25 “The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.” -Psalm 23:1-3 “ Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;   but a woman who fears the   Lord   will be greatly praised. ” Proverbs 31:30 “Don’t be concerned about the outward   beauty   of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the   beauty   that comes from within, the unfading   beauty   of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” -1 Peter 3:3-4 “Seek the   Kingdom   of   God   above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” -Matthew 6:33 “ Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where m