Skip to main content

Character Guest Post: Endings

Today, I’ve decided to do something a little different. If you want to see what inspired this idea, check out Melissa Gravitis’s Character Guest Post over at her blog.
We’ll be getting to know one of my all-time favorite characters from the novel I am currently editing. His name is Endings, and he’s – how do I say this? – special.

    Thanks for joining me today, En. So, if I understand correctly, you and your brothers were cast from your home and forced to find your way back without the use of your powers, which were taken away from you at the time you were banished, right?
Yeah. It was a rough time, and a lot of really bad stuff happened. Ever since then, I've changed. A lot. I don't think I'll ever be the same.

   So, where did you grow up?
A palace floating in space.
That's something you don't see everyday! Can you tell me more about this floating palace? Well, it's just kind of . . . there over Deerdren – the planet below. I don't live there anymore, though, cause I moved out when I turned eighteen and headed to my own place. It's built underground, down on Deerdren.
What’s your job?
I control Endings.
What kind of endings? Well, you know, that could be the ending of a movie, a TV show, that plant you've been trying to grow for months, a storm,  or . . . even a life.
Okay, so how do you feel about your job? I hate it. You know, a lot of the people on Deerdren don't even believe my family really exists, and the ones who still do don't understand my job, and the jobs of my brothers and sister, and think that we’re gods. But, as Father enjoys pointing out EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. we talk, we’re not gods. We’re like servants, put where we are to do our best to keep the planet safe.
But that doesn't make sense. I mean, how does ending things serve the people on Deerdren? You know what, it took me a while to get used to the idea that what I was doing was good, too. Remember the last time you got a song stuck in your head? Imagine what it would be like if nothing ever ended.
Okay, I guess I can see your point.
So, how’s your relationship with your family?
I don't wanna talk about it. Next question.
Oookay . . . How old are you now?
Um . . . I don't know. I don't remember. Being immortal, I’m a few thousand years old give or take, but I stopped counting after I moved out of my Father's place.
What’s your greatest fear?
Can we skip this question? No? Fine. Getting into the deep stuff now, huh? Well . . . ever since I almost drowned as a kid, I’ve been completely terrified of water. I’ll drink it, sure, but if I have a choice, I'm not gonna swim in it or sail on it. Ever.
Wait, wait. How is it possible for the person in charge of endings to end? Well, you're not gonna give a toddler the power of life and death, are you? No. Father didn't either. I didn't have any powers yet. And, now? Well . . . let's just say I have certain vulnerabilities, and leave it at that. 
Do you have any hobbies?
I LOVE to read history books. They're so funny! I have a great time correcting them - I mean, I was there, and a lot of them are WAY off. I also enjoy reading the old Deerdrinian Fairy Tales, cause I like to hear all the true things that just barely peek through the fake stories. I mean, every fairy tale started from something real, right?

You mentioned that you'd changed a lot since your adventure. Why do you think that is?
Well . . . ah, when you lose the things that you think matter the most to you, but then find that those aren't what really matter after all, it changes you. It makes you think about who you really are and why you do what you do and how you became who you are. My whole world was flipped upside down, but at the end I, uh . . . I realized that I'm worth more than I thought. 
Hey, I really gotta run now. Interview . . . over!

What do you think of Endings? Would you like to hear more about him and his family? Do you think I should do more posts like this? Tell me in the comments below or on my Facebook page, Julia Witmer, Author!

Comments

  1. It's so lovely to hear Endings's voice in this! Your story's premise and characters' powers are super unique, so I always enjoy learning more about them. XD Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Corner of the World: Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year/50th Post

To start off - THIS IS OFFICIALLY MY FIFTIETH POST!!! I'm so excited! Thank all of you for supporting me and reading my blogs, and know that I couldn't have gotten this far without every single one of you. I look forward to seeing you and talking to you more and more as I continue to write these posts! And now onto "Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year" . . . A lot of Christians don't celebrate Halloween, and I respect their decision, but I, personally, LOVE Halloween. It's one of my absolute favorite holidays (besides Christmas, which obviously comes first because it's just so amazing). I mean, you get free candy and people don't look at you weird for putting on a costume. I could do a whole post about how weird the idea of Halloween is - I mean, all it is is that you aren't technically trespassing on someone's lawn when you go up to their door and bang on it, begging for sweets while dressed like some sort of fict

Sunshine Blogger Tag

Melissa Gravitis tagged me in the Sunshine Blogger Tag! I’m so excited – it’s the first tag that I’ve participated in. Thanks for tagging me, Melissa!     The rules are pretty simple: #1: Answer the 11 questions from your nominee #2: Tag 11 bloggers #3: Ask them 11 new questions I don’t know if you’re as thrilled about this as I am, but I’m too pumped up to stall anymore. Let’s get on with it! 1) Did anything 'spark' your passion (writing, reading, art, etc.) or did it come on gradually?                  It was more of a gradual thing for me. But, I think it was when I began reading that I slowly realized books actually came from somewhere and didn’t just magically appear. Then I decided I could do it, too! 2) If a library was on fire and you could only save three of its books, which three would you choose?      Oh, goodness. I’d probably say 1) Lost Girl of Astor Street , 2) Gregor the Overlander, the Prophecy of Bane , (book 2 in the series. It was

Girl Talk: Makeup

I recently got my first tube of lipstick. I was very excited, as I see makeup the same was as I see colored pencils - it's nowhere close to easy, but the process is enjoyable and fun, and it usually turns out pretty in the end (unless I totally mess up and have to start all over). The lipstick I got is a brighter color than I thought it was going to be, but I like it all the same. (lightish style) My little sister doesn't seem too thrilled with the development. Jokingly, she calls it red (although I am CONVINCED it's just a bright/deep pink), and says things like "oh, you don't need it! Why are you wearing it?!"  Since all of her comments are in jest, I take no offense at them. I play along and I laugh, and I pretend to defend myself as if I really care. But the more she does it, the more I realize that girls have to face this in real life all the time. People tell you things like "that color's not good on you" or " way too muc