Skip to main content

Character Guest Post: Time




Recently, I’ve been doing what I call “Character Guest Posts,” based off of a great idea Melissa Gravitis had on her blog – you should go check hers out! 
So far, I’ve done Guest Posts for Endings and Dreams, and today I’m going to do their older brother, Time. Let’s get to know him some, shall we?
Hey, Time! Thanks for joining me today – I really appreciate it. I’m super excited to get started. So, you and your brothers were thrown out of your Father’s house and onto Deerdren - the planet below - after having your powers taken away from you. You were then forced to try and make your way back to your Father with the help of your brothers, and a few others along the way, right?
Correct. It was a long and troublesome time, but I think we all came out better after.
I see. So, your other brothers control endings and dreams – I assume that means you control time. Would you mind explaining what that’s like, and what your limitations are?


I do control time, yes. This means that I control how long something may last, or even the time of day. I control all aspects of time, though it is mostly an indirect thing that comes naturally to me. For instance, I don’t have to consciously tell the seconds to pass, it comes to me just as easily as breathing. Other things, like time changes, how long a certain event will last, etcetera, are more conscious decisions.
Are there any hardships that come with the job of being time that most people don’t know about? I’d venture to guess that most people would think my job pretty easy. It seems like an enjoyable one, too. But, in a way, it has its own burdens. By choosing how long something will last – which is something Endings and I have to speak together about and agree upon rationally – I am basically making Endings do his job. Before, that might not have bothered me much, but recently, since returning from the trip, I feel bad for it. He’s never cared for his job, you know.
Ah, yeah. That makes sense.
How old are you?
I’m around four years older than Dreams, although physically I appear as if I’m in my mid to late twenties.
How does that work, exactly? I mean, Endings looks like he’s eighteenish, Dreams looks like he’s in his early twenties – but you’re all thousands of years old. Why does it work like that? That’s easily answered, actually. We appear physically the way we think. So, mentally, Endings thinks like an eighteen-year-old, while I think like a twenty-five to twenty-seven-year-old.
So, your Father’s palace is floating in space – where’s yours?
Mine is nowhere as extravagant as Father’s. I live in a long-forgotten clearing in the middle of a forest in the Dwarven Section.
Do you have anyone that you really admire, and if so, why do you admire them so much?
Father. He’s very wise and patient, and he always has been. He was even strong enough to give up his powers to his kids, to keep himself from becoming corrupt! I admire him greatly.
Is there anything in your past you wish you could change?
The way I treated others – just in general. I was a very selfish person before being stuck on Deerdren, and I’ve definitely changed for the better.
Do you have any hobbies?
I play a lot of chess.



What is it about chess that you enjoy? Well, I enjoy the time I get to spend with whoever plays with me – usually Life, but sometimes even Dreams or Endings will join in. I also find it relaxing, and I enjoy strategizing, so it’s a good game for me.
Earlier, you said that you’d “changed for the better.” Becoming less selfish was one of the areas you said you’d grown in – were there any other things that have changed since coming back?
I’ve gotten better at staying calm and not losing my temper so easily – although I will admit that I’m nowhere close to being perfect, and there’s still room for improvement. According to Endings, I’ve stopped being a sycophant; of course, me being me, I wouldn’t say I was a sycophant at all . . .
Other than that, my relationship with other people in general has definitely improved, and I’m better at coming across as a normal, not so uptight and annoying person – not that I’m saying I ever was in the first place. 
Well, uh, I hate to do this and all, but Endings and I had an agreed upon time and . . . Well, I'm going to get going now. See you all later!
What do you think of Time? What about his personality stands out to you? Tell me in the comments below, or on my Facebook page Julia Witmer, Author!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grace's Corner of the World: Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year/50th Post

To start off - THIS IS OFFICIALLY MY FIFTIETH POST!!! I'm so excited! Thank all of you for supporting me and reading my blogs, and know that I couldn't have gotten this far without every single one of you. I look forward to seeing you and talking to you more and more as I continue to write these posts! And now onto "Why We Won't Be Celebrating Halloween This Year" . . . A lot of Christians don't celebrate Halloween, and I respect their decision, but I, personally, LOVE Halloween. It's one of my absolute favorite holidays (besides Christmas, which obviously comes first because it's just so amazing). I mean, you get free candy and people don't look at you weird for putting on a costume. I could do a whole post about how weird the idea of Halloween is - I mean, all it is is that you aren't technically trespassing on someone's lawn when you go up to their door and bang on it, begging for sweets while dressed like some sort of fict

Girl Talk: Makeup

I recently got my first tube of lipstick. I was very excited, as I see makeup the same was as I see colored pencils - it's nowhere close to easy, but the process is enjoyable and fun, and it usually turns out pretty in the end (unless I totally mess up and have to start all over). The lipstick I got is a brighter color than I thought it was going to be, but I like it all the same. (lightish style) My little sister doesn't seem too thrilled with the development. Jokingly, she calls it red (although I am CONVINCED it's just a bright/deep pink), and says things like "oh, you don't need it! Why are you wearing it?!"  Since all of her comments are in jest, I take no offense at them. I play along and I laugh, and I pretend to defend myself as if I really care. But the more she does it, the more I realize that girls have to face this in real life all the time. People tell you things like "that color's not good on you" or " way too muc

Grace's Corner of the World: A Few of my Favorite Bible Verses

                Some of my very favorite Bible verses. “She is clothed in strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.” -Proverbs 31:25 “The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.” -Psalm 23:1-3 “ Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;   but a woman who fears the   Lord   will be greatly praised. ” Proverbs 31:30 “Don’t be concerned about the outward   beauty   of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the   beauty   that comes from within, the unfading   beauty   of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.” -1 Peter 3:3-4 “Seek the   Kingdom   of   God   above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” -Matthew 6:33 “ Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where m