Skip to main content

Character Guest Post: Time




Recently, I’ve been doing what I call “Character Guest Posts,” based off of a great idea Melissa Gravitis had on her blog – you should go check hers out! 
So far, I’ve done Guest Posts for Endings and Dreams, and today I’m going to do their older brother, Time. Let’s get to know him some, shall we?
Hey, Time! Thanks for joining me today – I really appreciate it. I’m super excited to get started. So, you and your brothers were thrown out of your Father’s house and onto Deerdren - the planet below - after having your powers taken away from you. You were then forced to try and make your way back to your Father with the help of your brothers, and a few others along the way, right?
Correct. It was a long and troublesome time, but I think we all came out better after.
I see. So, your other brothers control endings and dreams – I assume that means you control time. Would you mind explaining what that’s like, and what your limitations are?


I do control time, yes. This means that I control how long something may last, or even the time of day. I control all aspects of time, though it is mostly an indirect thing that comes naturally to me. For instance, I don’t have to consciously tell the seconds to pass, it comes to me just as easily as breathing. Other things, like time changes, how long a certain event will last, etcetera, are more conscious decisions.
Are there any hardships that come with the job of being time that most people don’t know about? I’d venture to guess that most people would think my job pretty easy. It seems like an enjoyable one, too. But, in a way, it has its own burdens. By choosing how long something will last – which is something Endings and I have to speak together about and agree upon rationally – I am basically making Endings do his job. Before, that might not have bothered me much, but recently, since returning from the trip, I feel bad for it. He’s never cared for his job, you know.
Ah, yeah. That makes sense.
How old are you?
I’m around four years older than Dreams, although physically I appear as if I’m in my mid to late twenties.
How does that work, exactly? I mean, Endings looks like he’s eighteenish, Dreams looks like he’s in his early twenties – but you’re all thousands of years old. Why does it work like that? That’s easily answered, actually. We appear physically the way we think. So, mentally, Endings thinks like an eighteen-year-old, while I think like a twenty-five to twenty-seven-year-old.
So, your Father’s palace is floating in space – where’s yours?
Mine is nowhere as extravagant as Father’s. I live in a long-forgotten clearing in the middle of a forest in the Dwarven Section.
Do you have anyone that you really admire, and if so, why do you admire them so much?
Father. He’s very wise and patient, and he always has been. He was even strong enough to give up his powers to his kids, to keep himself from becoming corrupt! I admire him greatly.
Is there anything in your past you wish you could change?
The way I treated others – just in general. I was a very selfish person before being stuck on Deerdren, and I’ve definitely changed for the better.
Do you have any hobbies?
I play a lot of chess.



What is it about chess that you enjoy? Well, I enjoy the time I get to spend with whoever plays with me – usually Life, but sometimes even Dreams or Endings will join in. I also find it relaxing, and I enjoy strategizing, so it’s a good game for me.
Earlier, you said that you’d “changed for the better.” Becoming less selfish was one of the areas you said you’d grown in – were there any other things that have changed since coming back?
I’ve gotten better at staying calm and not losing my temper so easily – although I will admit that I’m nowhere close to being perfect, and there’s still room for improvement. According to Endings, I’ve stopped being a sycophant; of course, me being me, I wouldn’t say I was a sycophant at all . . .
Other than that, my relationship with other people in general has definitely improved, and I’m better at coming across as a normal, not so uptight and annoying person – not that I’m saying I ever was in the first place. 
Well, uh, I hate to do this and all, but Endings and I had an agreed upon time and . . . Well, I'm going to get going now. See you all later!
What do you think of Time? What about his personality stands out to you? Tell me in the comments below, or on my Facebook page Julia Witmer, Author!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I've Learned from Watching My Mom and Dad

I've learned a lot from watching my Mom and Dad's marriage. It's led me to know what I want to look for in a marriage, eventually, when I'm older, if I ever DO get married. Their marriage helps me know what a marriage is really about, and I couldn't thank them more for that.

You see, a lot of girls my age dream about marrying the perfect guy. Living in the perfect house. Having a lot of money and clothes and having a happy family and good, stable jobs. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, but I think it's a bit unrealistic. It's not impossible, I suppose (other than the perfect guy, thing. Nobody's perfect! *Hannah Montana song now stuck in my head forever*), but in order to have all those things, you need to have a few others.

So, here's what I want for my future, if I ever get married.

Jesus. Not every marriage has Jesus, and a lot of them do okay without Him. But it's a lot harder, I think. Without Jesus, who do you have as your role …

Grace's Corner of the World: Why I Don't Write About MK Life

For those of you who don’t know, I am an MK (missionary kid). People tend to enjoy reading my posts about my life as a missionary, and are confused when I don’t write about that. After all – I’m a missionary! Why shouldn’t I write about my thrilling life living in a tropical climate spreading the word of Jesus? There’s only one answer for that, really: It’s not thrilling. Believe it or not, my life is no more exciting than yours. I spend my days doing school and trying not to die of the heat. Don’t believe me? I’ll give you a quick run-down of my day today. 1.Manage to get out of my bed and go downstairs; hopefully pretend to be awake enough to eat breakfast 2.Eat cereal and do devotions with family 3.Do some school 4.Take a nap 5.Do more school 6.Eat lunch 7.More school 8.Hide in my room some Wasn’t that just exciting? The thrilling life of an MK, right? Honestly, I’m here because God told me to come and support Dad as he spreads God’s word. I’m not doing any “missionarying,” I’m hanging out wi…

The Do's and Don'ts of Talking to MKs

When I returned to the States and talked to people living there, I discovered that people seemed very interested in what my family and I are doing, but they didn’t know what to ask so that they could figure out more about us. I’ve also learned that there are a few questions that should be avoided and others that I really enjoy answering. I thought I’d list some of them off for you so that you could know what to look out for, and what questions might be good conversation starters!
Don’t . . .
Ask me how it feels to be “back home.” I don’t even know how to answer this question. I have lived in Thailand for a little over two years now. Some of the toughest things that I have ever been through happened in this beautiful country. I have a lot of friends here. My house is here, and my family is here. So when you ask “How does it feel to be back home?” it can make me both confused and annoyed. Questions spin through my head, such as, “Um . . . I don’t know if I even am home,” and “Goodness, do…