Skip to main content

Grace's Corner of the World: The Tough Stuff

   One of the toughest things I struggle with when writing my blogs (or my books, or anything else, really) is that I don't have a very "tough skin" yet. This means that it hurts me when people don't like a post, or when someone offers critique on one of my stories. It's not that I don't believe what they're saying in those critiques of my stories or posts, it's that it hurts to hear them say it!

   At the same time, with my blogs, I struggle when one post doesn't get as many views as another. This mostly hurts me because my posts about MK life/life overseas get tons of views, but when I write about what really is important to me (my stories) they don't get half as many views.

   I've had to keep some things in mind when I look back over critiques or look at the amount of views of my posts.

1) I'm not writing to please other people, I'm writing to please me

   I don't write my blogs to see how many views they get, I write my blogs because whatever I'm writing is something I personally care about. It doesn't matter what other people think about it - it matters that I enjoyed writing it.

   With writing my stories, that's a bit different. That's what I want to do with my life - I want to tell stories. That's why it hurts so much when someone points out a flaw in it. But it's still necessary. It still matters. Whatever that person is saying might have some truth to it, so after I stop bawling my eyes out because someone didn't like a scene in my book or didn't like one of my characters (I'm not kidding here - I've cried over this before! My book's like my baby; I pour hours of my life into it, I care about it, and I put my whole heart into it), I need to get to working on their suggestions (if they're valid, of course).

2) Numbers don't matter




   A number is something small. Or big. It doesn't matter which. My blog posts get ten views or ten thousand, it shouldn't stop me from writing more. And it certainly shouldn't stop me from writing from the heart.

   And, probably the hardest to remember of all, 3) Different people like different things

   Some people might read cooking blogs, whereas I read writing blogs. Others might read historical fiction novels, whereas I usually read fantasy novels. I can't say a blanket "Oh my goodness, everyone hates me because they won't look at my posts." Um . . . no. Just because they don't like reading about the stuff I like to write about doesn't mean they don't like me. It's got nothing to do with me! It's got everything to do with what someone likes to read.

   Okay, okay, I'm sure you're wondering why this matters to you. Well, I think all of this is important in everyday life. No matter what your profession, your hobby, your religion - all of these come into practice every. single. day. How?

1) You aren't living to please other people


   Now, you shouldn't hurt other people or yourself, either. But you have to remember in everyday life that your goal isn't to make everyone else happy while you rot away in a cage of misery. You aren't going around to make everyone happy with themselves and their lives - you can comfort them and love them, but you don't have to suffer so they can be somewhat content. If you try to please everyone, nobody's going to be happy.

2) Numbers don't matter

   You could have a lot of money. You could have a little money. You could have a bunch of friends, or you could have a few friends. But numbers don't matter in the long run. Yes, it's good to have enough money to survive! It's good to have friends! But in the end everyone leaves this earth. What matters isn't what you have, it's what you believe.

3) Different people are going to like different things - and different people

   Not everyone is going to like you. Not everyone is going to like the way you do things. I have learned this - and it isn't easy to remember. Me? I like hugs. My brother? Doesn't like hugs. Likes me, doesn't like getting bombarded with hugs (I can't understand why . . .). When he tells me he doesn't want a hug, is he telling me he doesn't like me? Nope! He's telling me he doesn't want a hug. (I'll admit, not hugging him is easier said than done . . .)

   It's hard to remember these things - it always has been and it always will be. Forever. Infinitely difficult. Some people won't like my books, others will like them, and others still might love them. Who knows? Only God. He knows what He's doing. So trust Him, and remember these things, would you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things I've Learned from Watching My Mom and Dad

I've learned a lot from watching my Mom and Dad's marriage. It's led me to know what I want to look for in a marriage, eventually, when I'm older, if I ever DO get married. Their marriage helps me know what a marriage is really about, and I couldn't thank them more for that.

You see, a lot of girls my age dream about marrying the perfect guy. Living in the perfect house. Having a lot of money and clothes and having a happy family and good, stable jobs. I'm not saying that that's a bad thing, but I think it's a bit unrealistic. It's not impossible, I suppose (other than the perfect guy, thing. Nobody's perfect! *Hannah Montana song now stuck in my head forever*), but in order to have all those things, you need to have a few others.

So, here's what I want for my future, if I ever get married.

Jesus. Not every marriage has Jesus, and a lot of them do okay without Him. But it's a lot harder, I think. Without Jesus, who do you have as your role …

Grace's Corner of the World: Why I Don't Write About MK Life

For those of you who don’t know, I am an MK (missionary kid). People tend to enjoy reading my posts about my life as a missionary, and are confused when I don’t write about that. After all – I’m a missionary! Why shouldn’t I write about my thrilling life living in a tropical climate spreading the word of Jesus? There’s only one answer for that, really: It’s not thrilling. Believe it or not, my life is no more exciting than yours. I spend my days doing school and trying not to die of the heat. Don’t believe me? I’ll give you a quick run-down of my day today. 1.Manage to get out of my bed and go downstairs; hopefully pretend to be awake enough to eat breakfast 2.Eat cereal and do devotions with family 3.Do some school 4.Take a nap 5.Do more school 6.Eat lunch 7.More school 8.Hide in my room some Wasn’t that just exciting? The thrilling life of an MK, right? Honestly, I’m here because God told me to come and support Dad as he spreads God’s word. I’m not doing any “missionarying,” I’m hanging out wi…

The Do's and Don'ts of Talking to MKs

When I returned to the States and talked to people living there, I discovered that people seemed very interested in what my family and I are doing, but they didn’t know what to ask so that they could figure out more about us. I’ve also learned that there are a few questions that should be avoided and others that I really enjoy answering. I thought I’d list some of them off for you so that you could know what to look out for, and what questions might be good conversation starters!
Don’t . . .
Ask me how it feels to be “back home.” I don’t even know how to answer this question. I have lived in Thailand for a little over two years now. Some of the toughest things that I have ever been through happened in this beautiful country. I have a lot of friends here. My house is here, and my family is here. So when you ask “How does it feel to be back home?” it can make me both confused and annoyed. Questions spin through my head, such as, “Um . . . I don’t know if I even am home,” and “Goodness, do…